April 6, 2003
Left photo is of Crestone Peak. Photo on right, a retreat center in Tibet. The landscape similarities are incredible.
WE ARE COMING CLOSER TO A BUILDING STARTING DATE OF THE VAJRA VIDYA RETREAT CENTER. DURING THE RETREAT RINPOCHE WILL BE PREPARING A NUMBER OF SACRED AND AUSPICIOUS OBJECTS TO BE PUT INTO THE FOUNDATION OF WHERE THE RETREAT CENTER WILL BE BUILT. THERE WILL BE A FORMAL CEREMONY DURING THE RETREAT. THINK ABOUT YOUR FUTURE RETREAT BEING HERE!
Rinpoche will be taking some of the lunch meals with the Participants so that students will have more contact with him.
THRANGU RINPOCHE'S RETREAT UPDATE INFORMATION
We have a couple of new options for housing for this summer retreat in Crestone Colorado.
*****Crestone International Hostel*****
$15 per night
*****One room for a couple($20)******
Shared space for three people($10 Per person)
Contact: Collins at 1-719-256-4829
There is still space available at the White Eagle (indicate that you have registered for the program). Willow Springs is booked but there are other B&B's that still have space.
We are trying to see if the Desert Sage will allow the taking of just one or two of the meals.
***We will be able to have some transportation available let us know if you should need this.*****
A number of e-mails bounced because attachments were not accepted. If you know of folks that did not get the first notification please let them know or contact us and we will snail mail applications. There are still spaces available for this retreat.
Thrangu Rinpoche Teaching on
"The Union of Mahamudra and Dzogchen"
Friday June 13 - June 22, 2003
Vajra Vidya Retreat in Crestone, Colorado
The Teaching: Mahamudra and Dzogchen are the highest practices of the Kagyu as well as the Nyingma and other lineages. The teaching will be open to all students. We will send out material before the program on Mahamudra and Dzogchen to help those unfamiliar with the material. The root text that Rinpoche will use will be provided. Thrangu Rinpoche has said that if students are relaxed, their meditation will be more effective. With Rinpoche's instruction we hope to set an environment that evokes Mahamudra and Dzogchen meditation.
You will receive a packet with what to bring, a schedule of the daily program, directions for getting to Crestone from the Denver International Airport. We are hoping to get this out mid May.
Program Cost: The cost of Thrangu Rinpoche's teachings will be $ 30.00 per day or $ 300 for the entire ten-day program. Rinpoche will be teaching twice a day. The whole group will visit the Vajra Vidya Retreat land. Two empowerments will be given and those will be announced later. The check for the program should be made out to Vajra Vidya Retreat Program and will be refunded in full to you if you cancel any time before June 1st.
The participants will find and register for their own accommodations. To help we enclose the following information.
1. The program will be held at the White Eagle which is a large motel and all teachings will be held in their conference room which holds 150 people. The White Eagle charges $ 60 per room per night and each room has two double beds and a bathroom. If you share a room with someone, it comes to 9 nights or $ 270 for the program. The cost for an extra person in a room will be $5 per night. The White Eagle also has Hostel rooms, but no bedding supplied. In contacting the White Eagle inquire about other possibilities.
Website with pictures: www.whiteaglevillage.com . Phone: (800) 613-2270 or (719) 256-4865. They now take credit cards over the Internet.
We have reserved 40 beds at local Bed and Breakfasts and when you tell them "the Vajra Vidya Program" they will charge $25.00 per person. All are a 10 minute drive to the White Eagle.
2. Rainbow Bed and Breakfast: Phone: (800) 530-1992 (719) 256-4110. Website: rainbowbb.com.
Contact person Judy Rose. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Silver Star: Phone: 719-256-4686. Silver Star Website Contact person Juelle.
4. Willow Spring B & B (owned by Buddhists): Phone 719-256-4116 Website: www.willow-spring.com Contact person: Jim and Harriet Campbell. THEY ARE ALREADY BOOKED
5. Gracedom Healing Retreat Center Phone: (719) 256-4667. (800) 673-0656 x 4667 Gracedom Website Email: Gracedom@fone.net .
There is also the North Crestone Camp ground run by the forest service and is located by a stream. Camper Village is close to the White Eagle and has showers available (719) 256-4171. Because of the remoteness of Crestone we suggest making reservation as soon as possible. We are continuing to find other possibilities. This is a busy time and B&Bs get booked early!
The Desert Sage is the largest restaurant in Crestone. We have negotiated program rates of $ 30.00 per day for three meals. Total of $ 262 for the program. Their menus will accommodate vegetarian, non vegetarian, and even vegan in a buffet style. Unfortunately, the desert sage is 4 miles from the White Eagle so we will be doing a lot of carpooling. Payment for the meal program should be made out to Vajra Vidya Retreat Center.
The main post meditation experience in a retreat should be one of developing appreciation of others, developing a genuine feeling of helping others, and patience. Crestone is 200 miles from the airports and there is no transportation to Crestone except for rental cars. We have a corporate rate from Enterprise car rental. If four persons share the cost of the rental it would be about the same as chartering a bus ($50 to $60 for the ten days). Also all commuting between the B &Bs, Desert Sage, and White Eagle will be made easier with sharing cars. So transportation will be our post meditation training. We will have more details in the registration packet.
Finally, if you have any problems, please email us and we'll try to help in any way we can.
Clark and Pat Johnson Vajra Vidya Retreat
P. O. Box 1083
Crestone, CO 81131
Phone: (719) 256-5367
Check out back issues of Namo Buddha Newsletters:
- Namo Buddha Newsletter for March, 2003
- Namo Buddha Newsletter for January, 2003
- Namo Buddha Newsletter for November, 2002
- Namo Buddha Newsletter for October, 2002
- Namo Buddha Newsletter for August, 2002
- Namo Buddha Newsletter for May, 2002
- Namo Buddha Newsletter for December, 2001
- Namo Buddha Newsletter for November, 2001
- Namo Buddha Newsletter for October, 2001
- Namo Buddha Newsletter for September, 2001
- Namo Buddha Newsletter for June, 2001
- Namo Buddha Newsletter for May, 2001
- Namo Buddha Newsletter for April, 2001
- Namo Buddha Newsletter for February, 2001
- Namo Buddha Newsletter for January , 2001
- Namo Buddha Newsletter for October, 2000
- Namo Buddha Newsletter for September, 2000
- Namo Buddha Newsletter for May, 2000
- Namo Buddha Newsletter for October, 1999
- Namo Buddha Newsletter for June 15, 1999
- Namo Buddha Newsletter for Spring, 1999
- Namo Buddha Newsletter for Spring, 1998